Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sweet Peach


When thinking about peaches most people think yellow peach but there is also a white peach. What’s the difference? The white ones are white in color on the inside and they are sweeter.

I found out that the white peaches even existed by accident. The friend of mine that has been trying to help me learn how to bake decided that we should make a peach pie. I was over the moon about it because I love peaches. She went to the store and grabbed all the ingredients and when she got back she called me over. It was baking time!

Peaches contain a ton of vitamins and minerals, for example iron and fiber, but it contains one that has been rumored to prolong the life span, potassium.  If you don’t have enough potassium, you're likely to have fatigue, anxiety, muscle weakness, skin problems, poor memory, congestive heart failure or heart deterioration. So peaches are a good way to keep your potassium up.

When my friend and I started slicing up the peaches I noticed they were white on the inside. I asked her if they weren’t ready or something. 

“Crap! I grabbed the wrong ones. These are white peaches,” she said.

So that day I learned about the existence of white peaches and made a white peach pie. For the record it was absolutely delicious.  I liked it just as much as I like yellow peach pie. I’d be happy to munch on either kind now. 

Peach tea is known in Eastern cultures to be a kidney cleanser. They don’t mean the peach flavored tea that most of us drink.  This tea has to be made from the pits of peaches. It has been claimed that peaches are good for relief of stomach ulcers and other digestive issues like colitis and kidney disease.

Peaches also contain lycopene and lutein. These are carotenes, like beta-carotene. There are studies and signals that these two substances, can help prevent macular degeneration, cancer and heart disease.

A couple years ago my dad decided he wanted to plant some fruit trees in the backyard to go along with his garden.  He knew he wanted a cherry tree but he wasn’t sure what other kind to get. I voted peach tree and made sure to remind him of that on a daily basis. My mom also agreed with me and so we ended up with a peach tree. The peaches have not yet grown to full size on the tree but for the past couple of summers I’ve gone out there and watch it bud.  I watch those cute little fuzzy peaches get a little bigger and can’t wait until the tree is big enough to let those guys grow to size. I’m dying to eat them.

4 comments:

  1. Deanna,

    I had no idea that white peaches existed either! I love peaches because of the difference in texture of the outside and inside and I like how juicy they are. I love the part of this post about the peach tree because it really shows how important fruit is to you, so much that you begged your father to choose a peach tree and you go out and watch the fuzzy peaches grow. I'm definitely interested now in how white peaches taste, I think I might have to try it! I love reading your blog because it makes me want to go to Price Chopper and buy all the fruits and vegetables you're talking about. You are definitely good at making the foods sound appealing and making me hungry!
    I would suggest doing a vegetable post soon, maybe a vegetable you don't like? But then you could write about why you should like it because it's really good for your body.

    Good post!

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had no idea that there were different colors of peaches. I'm pretty sure I've never had a white peach before but I know I've had yellow peaches. While they are not my favorite fruit, I do enjoy the occasional peach from time to time, especially if they are pre-sliced. I love the juicy flavor and they are a refreshing treat on a hot summer day. I liked how you added personal experiences with peaches in this post, from you and your friend baking a peach pie to you begging your parents to grow a peach tree. As always, I liked that you included the benefits of peaches and compared the white peach to the yellow peach. It makes me either want to go buy some white peaches are try to white peach tea, wherever they may sell that.
    I agree with Molly that there should be a vegetable post soon because you have been focusing on fruit for the past few posts.

    Nice post

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PEACHES. Georgia peaches are the best, in summer. I usually have one every day, and when the season is over I know it's almost time to go back to school... --ds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work… Arborio White Organic Rice You did the a great work writing and revealing the hidden beneficial features of click me “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks" dried fruits suppliers I agree with your thought. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete