Saturday, April 7, 2012

Magnificent Mangos


Did you know that mangos originated over 4000 years ago?

Mangos are a fruit that I didn’t even know existed until I went to college. The first time I had some, one of the dining halls on campus was throwing a Hawaiian themed dinner which was amazing. I fell in love with mangos immediately. I didn’t know what I was eating but it was ranked as one of my most favorite fruits after that. Lucky for me someone I was with knew what mango was so I was able to find and eat it again.

Mangos have enzymes that help break down protein. It also contains fiber. Both of these things help the body with digestion.

My neighbor and close friend (who goes to the same college as me) has been trying to teach me how to bake over the past year. I admit regretfully that I’m a disaster in the kitchen though she is optimistic. I’ve managed to make the crust of lemon bars completely disappear before even though it was there and intact before it went into the oven. I’ve never figured out how that one worked. I’ve also set the microwave on fire like three times. When I got engaged I wanted to try and change that and become a baking goddess.  Needless to say that hasn’t happened. Even so I want to bake a mango into a pie, but my friend tells me that when she looked it up she found that heated mango wasn’t very good.  I’m disappointed.

Mangos are said to be connected to healthy skin when eaten or applied externally. They clear clogged pores and get rid of pimples (I should probably eat one of these right now because I’ve been breaking out recently). Here is a link to a homemade mud mask. It shows you how to make it if you want to give it a try. http://realfoodforlife.com/randys-mango-mud-mask/ I find it very interesting and might try it myself.

Mango leaves have been known to normalize insulin levels. A home remedy is to boil the leaves in water and leave them soaking all night. Then consume in the morning.

I also found that mangos are supposed to improve sex! :0   They contain a good source of Vitamin E. It is found that a balanced amount of Vitamin E can improve sex (I had mangos with my fiancé once but it was right before I had to get on a plane and come back to New York so I have no idea if that one really works).

Mangos are also a great source of Vitamin A and C so they help improve vision and boost the immune system. 

I love it when food I enjoy eating turn out to be so good for me because then it isn’t a struggle when I try to be healthy!

4 comments:

  1. Deanna,

    I thought this post was great. I'm personally not a big fan of mango but I might try it again after reading this post. I loved the part where you talked about how you can't really cook and you wish you could for your fiance. The part about the lemon bars was funny!
    I liked the video at the bottom too, I think that woman seems to know what she's talking about and I actually watched it the whole way through and found it straightforward and informative. If she has any more videos about some fruits or vegetables that could be a great addition to other posts too. But having said that, I definitely enjoy your descriptions of what the foods do for you because they feel more personal (like when you talk about vitamin E!) and really allow us to connect with you.

    Great post! I'm definitely considering some mangos next time I go grocery shopping.

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna,

    Wow, your post makes mangos sound like a panacea, good for sex, skin, and diabetes. Not to mention that they taste amazing! (Yeah, I'm a big fan.) Actually, when I went backpacking over the summer, I insisted that we bring mangos. Everyone thought I was nuts until we were out on the trail at 6 AM, enjoying slices of mango-goodness in the mountains. They're the bomb.

    Good post.

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I love to eat fruit, especially during the spring and summer seasons, mangos have never really been on my radar. Maybe it's just because I've never been at a party or gathering where there were mangos available. I also tend to prefer fruit that I grab a handful of, and mangos aren't really one of those fruits. That's why I gravitate toward crasins, grapes and cranberries. But after reading your post I feel like I should give mangos a shot. Part of me even wants to try that homemade mud mask to see what it will do for my skin. With graduation coming up, I'd like the skin on my face to look as good as possible for photos.

    Great post.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna-
    I LOVE mangos too! There is really nothing better than a strawberry and mango smoothie or fruit salad...That being said, I liked that you included other uses for mangos than just digestive benefits. The skin benefits and supposed sexual benefits are definately interesting and not something I knew about before. Keep up the good posts!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete