Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Limes


I looked up limes because of a massage I got once.  It was actually my first professional massage ever. When I was done they gave me some water to drink. It tasted really interesting and I looked to see what was in it and they had a bundle of cut up pieces of fruit. I noticed the lime in there and wondered about it. I had never drunk lime juice before. So I went to the store and got a lime, cut it up and started putting it in my water every day.  I noticed I had to go to the bathroom a lot, and not in a bad way. One glass of lime water had a similar result to drinking two glasses of regular water.  So I got curious.

Like lemons limes are rich in vitamin C but not as rich as lemons. Also just like lemons, the seeds of a lime are poisonous.   

Limes aid in digestion for a couple of reasons. The first is that the scent of a lime makes the mouth water, so saliva floods your mouth before you even taste the lime and digestion has started. The second reason is the acid in limes help break down food in the stomach.

Limes also help with weight loss. The citric acid in limes is a great fat burner.   Drink a couple glasses a day and you will start to see results.

These multitalented fruit also help with urinary disorders.  Limes have a high potassium content which is helpful for removing toxic substances. Also it’s disinfectant properties help cure infections in the urinary system. 

What can limes do for your skin? You’d be surprised.  When you consume it or apply it externally it can revive the skin and keep it shinning. Limes also protect skin from infections and can reduce body odor do to the amount of vitamin C and Flavonoids in them.  When you apply it to your skin externally the acids help scrub out dead cells, helps with rashes and bruises, and can help cure dandruff.

Like lemons, limes have even more uses that I haven’t even talked about though they are more for people with specific problems.

5 comments:

  1. This made me drink some water w/ limes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your extensive research in this particular blog post. I had to idea limes had so many benefits. I always thought they were just used as garnish for a mix drink. I didn't know that the seeds of a lime were poisonous or that limes could help rejuvenate skin. What I wanted to see more of was possible ways to include more limes in your diet. The only idea you mention is to put it in a glass of water, but there's always the possibility that someone may not like the taste. I'm sure there are plenty of recipes that call for limes or lime juice that you could find and post links to for anybody who might want to try and cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna,
    I thought this post was very interesting and informative. I can’t say I’ve ever even tried a lime unless it was in a margarita…but your information made me want to try it in different ways I haven’t thought of. I like that you talked about many different aspects it can affect like skin, urinary tracts, weight loss, and digestion. I like how you didn’t focus on just one thing that limes do in your post and you gave a good range of how limes can help the body. I would have liked to maybe some more options on how to consume the limes through other ways than just water. Maybe if you told us you could squeeze it on chicken while cooking and talk about the distinct flavors it adds to a meal. I would also suggest doing a vegetable next week since your blog is about both and you have yet to do a vegetable. Or maybe you could do something like the tomato because of the confusion on whether it’s a vegetable or fruit and you could incorporate some background on why that is and then give some ways that tomatoes can affect the body in a good way. Good post though, looking forward to reading more.
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna-
    This was definitely a very informative and useful post. I had no idea limes could benefit you in so many ways! You did a good job keeping the benefits simple and to the point, and not getting too medical or scientific on us. I would like to see some more concrete examples from your life as to how the limes benefited you. Did you see a difference in your skin at all? Stuff like that. I was even thinking if you could find a recipe for a lime face mask that would be really cool to include.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! This post was clearly well-researched, as well as concise and useful. My suggestion would be maybe to add a little more of a personal touch to future posts, maybe go into more detail about experiences like the massage one you list here, put us in the scene a little more. Just that personal touch would add a lot, I think.

    -Alex Bissell

    ReplyDelete