Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Carrots


Did you know that there are more than 100 species of carrots that range in size and color? Yes color. Carrots are not only orange but they can be red, white, yellow, and purple also. 

Like a few other people I know, I have not eaten enough carrots in my life time. My eyesight is terrible. I’m in permanent vertigo without my eyeballs (contacts, as I call them) in.  It’s pretty common knowledge that carrots have vitamin A, which helps your eyesight, but actually vitamin A also helps your body fight off infection and keeps your skin and hair healthy, all the more reason to eat these veggies.

Carrots have been found to reduce the risk of cancer due to a compound called Falcarinol.  Falcarinol is a natural pesticide found in carrots that protects the roots from fungal diseases.

Carrots also contain beta carotene which is an antioxidant that helps the body fight cell damage. It also helps slow down the aging of cells and various negative effects associated with aging. So to anyone who wants to look younger longer eat more carrots because they have a natural anti-aging effect.

Another thing that they do is help clean your teeth. They act as a natural abrasive, which means they help in eliminating the sticky dirt from teeth and stimulate gums.  The minerals in carrots help to kill germs in the mouth and prevent tooth damage. If you eat a few carrots after your meal it will help get any extra food off your teeth which will help eliminate those embarrassing moments when someone points out you have something stuck in your teeth. I don't know about you but I've definitely been there.

To end this time I have carrot recipe because not everyone likes to eat raw carrots. I found this recipe at Allrecipes.com. It’s called Parmesan Crusted Baby Carrots.

Prep time: 5 minutes. Cook Time: 20 minutes. Calories: 57

Ingredients:
1 pound carrots chopped

2 teaspoons butter

¼ cup parmesan cheese.

Directions:

1)      Place carrots into a large pot with water and cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium low. Let simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.

2)      Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in carrots. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.

3)      Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Wait 30 seconds before stirring into carrots. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes.

4)      Eat and enjoy! J

6 comments:

  1. This blog is very clear and readable. I've come to know what to expect, which is both positive and potentially negative. Try mixing it up -- instead of a post about a particular food, how about something more personal -- a story related to the topic, but about your own life... (There are lots of other possibilities. Basically, you want to break the pattern from time to time to keep readers interested. They'll want to read about these foods, but they will also want to know about you, the writer.) --DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna,

    I liked how you added a recipe to your post. Though it was simple it's still an alternative, which was nice to see. I do agree with Donna though that I want to see more about you, I get excited when you say something as simple as how you call your contacts your eyeballs. Stuff like that is interesting and I remember when you wrote about cucumbers you talked about how you always run to them at a family reunion. Those little details you add about yourself are the most interesting to me and like Donna said, varying the types of posts you do will pull the reader in because they won't know what to expect. But like always, I still enjoy reading and find your posts very informative and you focus on the things that a typical person wouldn't know about these fruits and vegetables which keeps the information from being obvious.

    I also love the picture of the different colored carrots! I had no idea that that was even possible, so it was nice to be able to literally see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna,

    I liked the way you opened this blog post with the various colors that carrots can be. I had no idea that carrots could be any other color than orange when ripe. Like the rest of your posts, this post about carrots is filled with great information. Most people know that carrots can help with eyesight (although it has done nothing for me), but I didn't know that it worked as a natural abrasive. I also didn't know that carrots can keep you young looking. I'll remember that fact about carrots helping to get rid of excess food stuck in your teeth the next time I eat chicken because that always seems to happen to me and I never have a toothpick.
    I also liked that you included a recipe to make it a bit more personal to you. It also sounds delicious and I may have to try and attempt to make this because I love carrots and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post! I like that you added a recipe to this one, I'll add it to my list of other recipes that I think I'll try someday but probably never will. Lots of good factoids as well, I had no idea that carrots came in different colors, that's wild, and it's cool to see a picture (for evidence, because I wouldn't have believed you otherwise!). I didn't know they were good for dental health either.

    -Alex Bissell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna-
    I love that you shook things up with this post by adding a recipe at the end! This was a great idea because it makes the foods you talk about more accessable for us to try and incorporate into our meals. I also did not have any idea that carrots came in other colors than orange, (which makes me feel pretty dumb, but oh well.) I look forward to next week!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was great because you incorporate your own opinion into everything. First you shared some information about carrots, then you brought the reader back to yourself. This is great and serves as a good start for anon fiction piece in general. It was extremely personable and made me want to read more.
    But for some reason I felt that you had more to say, or that you prematurely ended the post. I would have liked to hear more about carrots. Why did you choose to do a post about them?
    -Chris McPherson

    ReplyDelete