Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Olive


I’d love to say that olives have no health benefits at all. Why? Because I don’t like them and don’t want a reason to eat them.

Oddly enough I first decided I didn’t like olives, not because of the taste, I had never tried any at that point, but because of a school project.  In eighth grade I had to take the dreaded technology class. That year we did different aspects of technology every quarter. I was pretty bad at all of the units, especially the one with the power tools. One of the units though was a computer program. We had to design different objects in this program. One of the objects we had to do was an olive. Not the black kind but the green kind with the red center.  Can I just say that those olives look disgusting.  Now since I was no good at this program I couldn’t get the olive put together right, so I ended up staring at this ugly thing for many classes. Who wants to stare at that for days, really?  It was then that I decided I didn’t want anything to do with olives.

Olives are rich in Iron, vitamin E, copper, and have a good source of fiber.  They also have the healthy monounsaturated fats which increase HDL or good cholesterol 

 All of these things combined make olives have a protective effect on cells that can lower the risk of damage and inflammation.  They help reduce the severity of asthma, and osteoarthritis. They help prevent heart disease and colon cancer. Interestingly enough they also help prevent the frequency and intensity of hot flashes in women going through menopause

I did try olives at one point because I knew I shouldn’t discriminate against them because of their looks, but they tasted just as bad as they looked.  I pick them off everything or eat around them now. Sometimes the dining hall will have olives in something and I won’t see them so I’ll eat it. It’s not a good day for me when that happens.

Even though olives do have health benefits, which was really disappointing to me. I have decided that I am still not going to eat them. For all of you out there who like them though they, especially the women, they are very helpful.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE olives, although many people do not. Part of why I love them: because my grandmother loved them. When she would visit, sometimes just the two of us would eat a jar/can of olives. --ds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you switched things up and posted about something that you didn't like to eat, but at the same time had healthy benefits to them. I totally agree with you that the green olives are absolutely disgusting. I tried them for the first time when I was ten years old, but I thought that it was a grape. The green olive may have been one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I tried them again recently and I still cannot get myself to eat more than one without feeling like I'm going to throw up. I do like black olives, although I can only eat a small amount in one sitting. They are in noway my favorite thing to put in my salads, but I can eat four or five at one sitting.
    I'm glad that although you didn't like olives that you still provided the benefits of eating them. I had no idea that olives could reduce the risk asthma and osteoarthritis, as well as prevent heart disease and colon cancer. I found your story about why you didn't live olives to be very funny as well.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna,

    I'm with you on olives, I don't dig 'em. They do indeed look almost as gross as they taste. Just thinking about them makes me cringe.

    Also, I liked your story in the beginning, it reminded me of my experiences with tech class. Mine were mostly good. I remember getting away with a lot of stupid/dangerous things (and I also remember one of my tech ed partners sniffing woodglue at one point. . . .).

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna,

    I enjoyed this post because it seemed realistic. Not everyone likes every fruit and vegetable and it was nice to see a different side of your view on a food. I think it was good that you were honest about your own dislike for olives, yet you still gave us the benefits in case we do like them. I personally don't like them but my best friend does. I actually showed her this post and she laughed and told me that at least her menopause would be more bearable than mine.

    I liked how you still included a personal story of why you hate olives. It was cute and easy to understand your hatred since I think they're extremely gross too.

    Great post!

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work… Arborio White Organic Rice You did the a great work writing and revealing the hidden beneficial features of click me “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks" dried fruits suppliers I agree with your thought. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Инстраграмм остается самой популярной площадкой для продвижения своего бизнеса. Но, как показывает практика, люди гораздо чаще подписываются на профили в которых уже достаточное количество подписчиков. В случае если заниматься продвижение своими силами, потратить на это вы можете очень множество времени, потому гораздо лучше обратиться к специалистам из Krutiminst.ru тут https://sergiocmpp91133.acidblog.net/44270360/how-to-get-instagram-followers-speedy

    ReplyDelete